The Lamar University yearbooks began with the Navigator, which arrived the year following the founding of the South Park Junior College in 1923. In 1932, the university’s name was revised to Lamar College. The yearbook was not published from 1932-1944 because of hardships resulting from the Great Depression and World War II. The annual was renamed The Cardinal for the 1945/46 edition, and this is the name the yearbook retains today. The university changed names again in 1951 to become known as Lamar State College of Technology. In 1971, the university acquired its present name of Lamar University.